Tuesday, October 12, 2010

Iowa City VA Visit September 22, 2010

Today I went to visit my friends at the Iowa City VA Hospital with the QC Vietnam Vet group. I hurt my knee running a few days earlier, which explains the crutches! But I wasn't about to miss one of my favorite events! We took them hats, shirts, jello, pudding, fruit, crackers and even a few teddy bears. This was a hard visit...I met 5 people that had just been diagosed with cancer. 1 man was given 1 to 3 months to live and all his wife wanted was a POW flag...we found one! I met another man named Max, he was suppose to be at the VA for 5 weeks, and was starting chemo the day I was there. He was happy to get a hat and a magazine to read... and an orange! I told Max I lived close and I would come see him the next week. I went on Tuesday... 1 week later, with an orange. Max was sent home 40 mintues before I got there. When I started asking for him..the nurses looked away from me and said, "he just left". "Maybe he was downstairs waiting on the ambulance ride home". What? I thought he was suppose to be here awile, I said. Well, they can't give me his medical info but the looks said enough... I asked if he would be back for treatment...they said "no". Max's cancer is too far gone for treatment...I rushed (as fast as I could on crutches) downstairs but he was gone. I felt like someone punched me in the stomach....I wish I could have seen him one more time and given him the orange. I left it with a nurse..and sent my prayers for Max. Its so fun to meet the Vets at the hospital, but very difficult, when after all they have done for our country....these are the cards they are dealt. Only God knows and understands the plans he has for us... I know though..in heaven....there is no cancer and Max will be ok.

No comments:

Post a Comment