Tuesday, October 12, 2010

Bridging The Gap-Homeless Veteran Standdown Sept 2010

The Quad Cities held a Standdown for Homeless Vets..... they provided meals, medical check ups, employment information, housing assistance, help getting information on their military records, free clothes, shoes, coats, sleeping bags and hygiene products. They were also were able to take showers. It was great to meet so many Vets but sad they are all homeless. I was a greeter at the door and then helped them all pick out a coat. It was just amazing to see people so thankful and happy to get a used coat. It really puts it in perspective that our homeless vets need help. It was very hard for me to not cry all day, and think about all I have in my life and then about these men and women that have fought for our country and now have to ask for help to even shower. No Veteran should have to be in this situtation....ever. I hope that I can help them in some way... and if you even have clothes you don't wear anymore...please consider donating them to a shelter...especially larger clothes. They were in high demand!

No comments:

Post a Comment