Wednesday, January 26, 2011

Patriots Light the Night

December 19,2010 a candlelight vigil was held at the Iowa City National Guard. This was an event to honor and remember our deployed soldiers and their families as the Christmas season was upon us. I was asked to be the keynote speaker and to reach out to the families with words of hope. I was certainly honored and humbled! Writing my speech was a piece of cake, however giving the speech was way more difficult than I imagined! As I stood before this group of family members,all holding candles in honor of their soldiers, I could see in their eyes, they were sad, scared, lonely and worried. They were looking to me to help make it better! WOW!! It took every ounce of my strength to not fall apart right there! I have been the soldier deployed and the family waiting at home....I know everything they are going through. So please excuse the random tears during my speech....but when all you are saying comes from the very bottom of your heart.....its difficult to not become emotional. Every soldier deployed and every one of their family members and friends are my brothers and sisters...... I too worry......but my faith tells me, they will all be OK!! Until then...."we wait together for the big bus to roll into town!!!"

No comments:

Post a Comment