Friday, July 30, 2010

Meeting People

While at the fair I was introduced to so many people that share my passion-helping soldiers/vets. I met people from the VA Center at the University of Iowa, from Ft. Snelling Minnesota, my community, the VA Hospital...wow!! I was invited to attend a VA/ Vet Services Meeting held this month in Moline, Ill. Representatives from Iowa & Illinois meet to discuss ways to help Vets. The director of the Iowa City VA presents the information and everyone else offers opinions or suggestions. I learned the Iowa City (IC) VA hospital will be building a parking ramp to accommodate the many many Vets they serve, along with continued renovations inside the hospital. We discussed many things but one issue that is close to my heart is helping soldiers with PTSD. We are working with the medical centers and the family support groups to educate soldiers and their families on signs & symptoms along with treatment options. PTSD is post traumatic stress disorder which basically every soldier will return home with in some capacity. Changing your life to live in a war zone WILL affect you, its important for the soldiers to understand its normal, treatable and they have support. I will continue to attend these meetings and learn how I can be a Voice for Veterans! I met some great people, and most were Vets themselves.

No comments:

Post a Comment