Sunday, December 26, 2010

Veteran's Day 2010~ Hyvee Breakfast

Veteran's Day for me is like Christmas!! Its a day to honor and recognize all those who sacrifice for our country! My amazing husband spent the entire day supporting me...as I supported Vets! We started our day at the local HyVee grocery store....as I did last year. The HyVee serves free breakfast to Vets and I am allowed to visit with these incredible heroes and listen to their stories. I met Vets from every war since WWII and they all touched my heart!! I met a man who handed me his leg! ~ an amputee from Vietnam, a lady who served as a nurse in WWII and Korea! And a WWII Vet and his wife who talked of his service as a "tunnel rat". That means he went into the tunnels the enemy was thought to be hiding and killed them....before they could kill our guys. After all these years he, and his wife, said he wakes up almost nightly having nightmares and he thinks he is still there. She said sometimes she is afraid she won't be able to wake him back to reality. I cannot imagine living that way your whole life.... you can leave war...but it doesn't leave you! True heroes!

No comments:

Post a Comment