Sunday, September 5, 2010

FryFest

For the past 2 years my community has held an event called FryFest. It is a celebration of all that is Iowa Hawkeye, and honors one of Iowa's greatest football coaches, Mr. Hayden Fry! I was very honored and excited to be a part of this year's celebration, as I am a huge Hawk fan! On Aug 25 I volunteered with the City of Coralville and the United Way to fill coolers with Hawk gear that guests at the local hotel received for staying there. I worked with 8 other people and we filled 300 in about 45 min! On Fryday Sept 3, I went to Fryfest and met my community and helped encourage them to join Iowa's goal of breaking the Guiness Book of World Records for the Hokey Pokey. In case you don't know, during the Hayden Fry era, the players, after a huge win said they were so happy they could Hokey Pokey, and so the tradition began. We did break the previous record of approx 4,000 people....we had 7,773 in attendance! I was joined by the Miss Johnson County Princess-Emily Ries. She also happens to be my daughter! We had a great day and I was very impressed with my daughter's public speaking skills! We were asked to take our picture by a very awesome red 1971 Porsche! The owner is also the publisher for a Porsche magazine and asked if he could take our picture for a possible magazine cover! Of course we said yes!! We also got to model "snuggies"...Iowa snuggies!! The owners of the company came to Iowa from Italy with the hope of breaking their one day sales record. I just know..that snuggie was soooo cozy! I think I will have to get one. What a fun day we had with the many Iowa Hawkeye fans...I don't think I saw one person all day that wasn't wearing a Hawk shirt! I also had the opportunity to let many people know, what exactly is the Mrs. US Beauties Pageant! Having the chance to explain what my pageant stands for....the success of women...and what my platform is...encouraging communities to support Veterans and soldiers was the highlight of my day. GO HAWKS!!

No comments:

Post a Comment